Why choose an FHA mortgage?
The main advantage of an FHA home loan is that the credit criteria for a borrower are not as strict as conventional loans. Someone who may have had a few credit problems or no established credit may not have a problem obtaining FHA financing.
Also, FHA loans are assumable, allowing a person to take over the mortgage without the additional cost of obtaining a new loan. In addition, the lender must pay for part of the closing costs while a borrower’s allowable costs can partially be wrapped into the loan. The monthly mortgage insurance premium is less expensive for an FHA loan verses a conventional loan with 3% down. Finally, FHA loans may require less income to qualify as they will exceed the conventional debt ratios of 28/36% as their standard is 29/41%.
Many people assume that FHA loans are only available for first time home buyers. This is not true. FHA loans are available to anyone, whether it is your first or fifth home and also can be used to purchase or refinance a home.
More about FHA loans
To get an FHA or VA loan, you apply through an approved lender like Homestead Financial Mortgage. In fact, we are one of the top lenders for government loans. At every one of our offices, you work directly with local loan experts experienced with these loans.
A home loan insured by the federal housing administration (FHA). An FHA loan is usually available at an attractive lower rate. It is open to all qualified borrowers. FHA loans are underwritten through the standards established by the federal housing administration and are fully insured by the department of housing and urban development (hud). In FHA loans, the fico score is not evaluated, but a twelve month payment record can be established using non-traditional methods of payment (e.G. Phone bill). Regardless of the lending standards for FHA financing, the interest rates available may be comparable to those offered to conforming borrowers.
FHA loan features:
- Low down payment (usually 3.5% of the FHA appraisal value or the purchase price, whichever is lower)
- No maximum income/earning limitations
- Fixed rate and arm loans available
- Insurance from the federal government replaces private mortgage insurance
- Maximum loan amounts vary by county — contact homestead financial mortgage for information on your county
VA loans features:
- No down payment loans up to $417,000 for qualified veterans.
- Fixed rate loans. Arm loans also available. Ask your loan consultant for details.
- More flexible qualification guidelines than conventional loans
- For eligibility information contact homestead financial mortgage